UBI/UBIFS on NAND with PEB 4MB

Boris Brezillon boris.brezillon at free-electrons.com
Tue Dec 13 23:43:03 PST 2016

Hi Matthias,

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 20:40:59 +0100
Matthias Auchmann <m.auchmann at artech.at> wrote:

> Hi guys!
>
> I'm trying to use UBI and UBIFS on a Micron MT29F32G08ABCDBJ4 SLC NAND with an erase block size 4MB.

Woh! an SLC NAND with 4MB eraseblocks, that's surprizing.

> First of all, mkfs.ubifs wouldn't support a LEB larger than UBIFS_MAX_LEB_SZ being (2*1024*1024).

This is the easy part ;). We already have patches to increase the limit
in different ubi utils (IIRC, it's also needed in ubinize).

> When I use ubiattach though, it seems to be quite happy, giving me that on a 128MB partition:
>
> UBI device number 0, total 32 LEBs (133169152 bytes, 127.0 MiB), available 8 LEBs (33292288 bytes, 31.8 MiB), LEB size 4161536 bytes (4.0 MiB)
>
> Anyway, when I detach and reattach, it won't work. Details are in the bottom of that mail, but since I haven't thoroughly looked into it myself yet, this is only for those who care... I don't want to ask preliminary questions.
>
> Anyway, my questions I guess then are:
> -) Are there any patches/branches that enable UBIFS to be run with a LEB of 4161536?
> -) Are there any known limitations with using a 4MiB PEB with UBI itself, or shall I assume for now that the problem is on my board/NAND driver regarding the above ubiattach errors upon the second attach?

I don't think so. We did several tests on different MLC NANDs exposing
4MB blocks, and the UBI/UBIFS layers were not complaining about that
(we had other problems related to the MLC constraints).
What's your controller?

Regards,

Boris