Pass -EUCLEN to userspace?

Boris Brezillon boris.brezillon at free-electrons.com
Mon Apr 25 00:50:34 PDT 2016

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 07:28:57 +0200
Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 05:48:35PM +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> > Sascha, Boris,

> > Yeah, I did a first implementation on UBI layer as it had everything we need
> > and I didn't want to replicate UBI at MTD level.
> > Another reason is that we were not sure how sophisticated ubihealthd needs to be.
> >
> > Sasha, what exactly is your use case and why is the UBI approach not sufficient for you?
> > On Linux MTD access should only happen through UBI and UBOOT/SPL partitions stay untouched.
>
> On i.MX6 the Bootloader in Nand can indeed be redundant, so it's
> possible to scrub the pages. This is exactly our usecase, we want to be
> able to detect bitflips in the bootloader area.
> Note that on i.MX6 the first page in the first n blocks on Nand contains
> a structure called FCB (flash control block). This is not encoded with
> the standard ECC algorithm used on the other areas in Nand. Reading
> these pages will always return -EBABDMSG, they have to be read in raw
> mode. That just to say that a "maximum bitflips per block" might not be
> sufficient.

Okay, pretty much the same use-case we have on sunxi platforms: the SPL
partition is written in raw mode because the page layout (in-band/ECC
data disposition) is not the one we're using for the rest of the NAND.
For this specific partition, I see 2 solutions that you can implement
in userspace to count the number of bitflips:

1/ read the partition page by page in raw mode and compare each
   page to a reference file. This implies having a reference file stored
   on your FS.
2/ if you know the ECC algorithm (and the platform specific config,
   like the polynomial for a BCH engine) then you can create a tool
   doing the ECC error detection in userspace.

--
Boris Brezillon, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering