qemu:beagle no longer booting with omap2plus_defconfig in -next

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Sun Apr 24 09:42:40 PDT 2016

On 04/23/2016 12:46 PM, Boris Brezillon wrote:
> Hi Guenter,
>
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2016 10:53:06 -0700
> Guenter Roeck <linux at roeck-us.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> since next-20160421, I get the following error and hang when trying to boot
>> an omap2plus_defconfig image with qemu, machine 'beagle' and omap3-beagle.dtb.
>> multi_v7_defconfig still works, as does machine 'beaglexm' with omap3-beagle-xm.dtb
>> and omap2plus_defconfig. This is with Linaro's version of qemu.
>>
>> nand: timeout while waiting for chip to become ready
>>
>> The message repeats until the test times out.
>>
>> Bisect points to "Merge remote-tracking branch 'nand/nand/next'" as the offending
>> commit. However, the nand/nand/next branch itself is fine, as is the merge just
>> prior to the nand/nand/next merge ("Merge remote-tracking branch 'l2-mtd/master'").
>>
>> After some digging, I found that reverting commit "mtd: nand: omap2: Implement
>> NAND ready using gpiolib" fixes the problem. What I don't know, though, is why
>> the problem is only seen with omap2plus_defconfig, but not with multi_v7_defconfig,
>> and why it is only seen with beagle/omap3-beagle.dtb but not with
>> beaglexm/omap3-beagle-xm.dtb.
>>
>> The 'rb-gpios' property is only defined in omap3-beagle.dts, but not in
>> omap3-beagle-xm.dts, which may be part of the explanation. That still doesn't
>> explain, though, why multi_v7_defconfig still works, but not omap2plus_defconfig.
>>
>> Any ideas, anyone ?
>
> I think you got it right for the DT changes: if rb-gpios is not
> defined, it's working because the implementation fallback to "status
> polling" mode, which is not relying on the new GPIO controller
> implementation.
> I don't know why it's working when using multi_v7_defconfig and not
> with omap2_plus though (maybe a different probe order making
> devm_gpiod_get_optional() return NULL instead of EPROBE_DEFER?).
>
> And the other question I have for Roger is, do you see a reason why the
> rb-gpio mode would not work?

Hi Boris,

Turns out MTD_NAND_OMAP2 is not enabled on multi_v7_defconfig, thus the issue
does not arise there. After reverting 'mtd: nand: omap2: Implement NAND ready
using gpiolib', the driver uses omap_wait(), which as far as I can see is never
called in my tests. Since dev_ready is NULL in that case, it is never called
either (the chip is just assumed to be always ready), and thus the problem
does not arise.

So the big difference is that the dev_info callback was not used prior to
commit 'mtd: nand: omap2: Implement NAND ready using gpiolib', and that
it is logically different to the wait function which was previously used.

In qemu, it looks like gpmc bit 0 is considered to be the NAND chip select,
which is distinctly different to a chip ready pin. Guess I would have to try
finding a chip datasheet to figure out what this pin is supposed to do, and
what is wrong. Since it is somewhat unlikely that I'll find the time to do that,
I just disabled MTD_NAND_OMAP2 in my qemu tests instead. Not an ideal solution,
of course, but the alternative would be to drop the beagle qemu tests entirely.

Guenter