DaVinci NAND: disable subpage write (28c015)

Petr Kulhavy petr at barix.com
Fri Apr 22 01:20:09 PDT 2016

Hi,

this email refers to the commit:
28c015a9daabe4ed3aeb0ccf669a3f1c2b8b81d5 on drivers/mtd/nand/davinci-nand.c.
This commit sets the NAND_NO_SUBPAGE_WRITE option for "ti,keystone-nand"
to workaround a HW issue on the controller.

Disabling subpage write however should be made a general option because
some NAND chips do not support subpage write at all. Subpage write is a
feature of the NAND chip, not the NAND interface. In combination with
"ti,davinci-nand" there is no option to disable subpage write.
In my case I'm struggling with this issue on the AM1808 with a 1Gb
Micron NAND (MT29F1GxxABB).

My proposal would be to add a boolean property
"ti,davinci-disable-subpage-write" or similar, which sets the
NAND_NO_SUBPAGE_WRITE option.
I'm also wondering why no other binding is addressing this, as it is a
general problem.

I wanted to collect your opinion before submitting a patch.

Thanks
Petr