UBI/UBIFS: dealing with MLC's paired pages

Karl Zhang 张双锣 (karlzhang) karlzhang at micron.com
Fri Sep 25 01:30:23 PDT 2015

Hi Boris

Something else suggestions.

We know that using the OOB area to store UBI metadata(Backup data) is not a good idea, this is just a thinking, and also do a little work to implement it and verification .

For paired page issue from MLC is troublesome, we are trying our best to deal with it. Although attempt to use some bad ideas.

> > Only NAND provides an OOB area.
Some devices(NOR) do not have OOB, simultaneously, they do not have paired page issue, right?  I think they do not need to store a redundant metadata to anywhere.
AFAIK , only MLC(TLC maybe) NAND need store some metadata for another copy, and try to protected it by ECC.

But, if OOB have some unused area (at least 48 bytes) and the chip has paired page issue , could we take a little advantage of them  to reduce UBI fail rate?

Above, is just some thinking , wish we can have some better solutions.
As Bean said, most customer do not want UBIFS crash, and so do we.

Thanks to your patient to point out my wrong opinion.

BR