RfC: Handle SPI controller limitations like maximum message length

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Fri Nov 20 11:21:57 PST 2015

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 08:05:48PM +0100, Michal Suchanek wrote:

> I don't think ignoring errors in general is good idea.

> If it's desirable that a partial transfer is reported as error then a
> particular error value should be defined for this case and drivers
> that can continue the transfer in a driver-specific way (such as
> spi-nor) can check for this error and handle it appropriately and pass
> through any other error.

Fundamentally callers just shouldn't be trying to do excessively large
transfers in the first place, this is why we want capability reporting.
*Any* error code could indicate a truncation, we may have truncated due
to some length limitation but it could also be that there was some
hardware problem that occurred mid transfer or something similar.