RfC: Handle SPI controller limitations like maximum message length

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Fri Nov 20 03:06:16 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 04:07:46PM -0800, Brian Norris wrote:

> So for transfer size limitations, are you speaking of the same thing as
> Heiner (who began this post mentioning *message* size limitations)? I
> read a difference between the two, where a transfer size limitation
> might mean that one could improve the SPI core to just split transfers
> up into multiple sub-transfers, and still complete the whole
> spi_message (and therefore the protocol driver has less to worry about).
> But if we're talking about spi_message limitations, then this would be
> more exposed to the protocol driver.

For almost all hardware these should be the same things - most drivers
shouldn't be working in terms of messages, they should be working in
terms of transferrs.  Anything that has to work at full message level
almost certainly has substantial other limitations in place given the
need to be able to change parameters arbatrarily in the middle of
messages.