[RFC] Trace-events for mtd

Daniel Walter dwalter at sigma-star.at
Tue Nov 17 11:14:48 PST 2015

Hi,

I currently working on ways to find out
if any processes are producing heavy I/O
loads on a mtd device.
I've implemented traceevents for mtd_read and
mtd_write which allow us to at least get a
rough overview on the read/write load.
Although it kinda works, I could not find a
way to find out which processes actually produce
write load, since all writes are writebacks from
page_cache and therefor we mostly get a kworker thread
as the main origin of any write load.

I wanted to reach out to the broader community to find
out if I missed somethings and to get overall feedback
if more traceevents would be useful to help us
debugging mtd i/o a little bit better.

any comments are highly appreciated.

Cheers,

daniel