Wear-leveling peculiarities

Johannes Bauer weolanwaybqm at spornkuller.de
Mon May 18 07:09:19 PDT 2015

Am 18.05.2015 15:53, schrieb Johannes Bauer:

> I don't grasp the whole picture.

Obviously.

I've been thinking about this some more and had an epiphany pretty much
ten seconds after I hit the "send" button on my email.

Wear-leveling is working alright, but of course some parts (static
operating system components, for example) will never be written a lot of
times, because there is no need to change their contents. Wear-leveling
is only performed on the sectors which are actively written (and on
those which are unoccupied). This would explain the graphs, but is the
explanation also correct?

To remedy this, is is advisable/necessary to walk over the whole file
system every once in a while and read every LEB that has a small erase
count and write it back to its original location? So that an exchange
between the near-constant LEBs and the actively-written LEBs is
performed? Is there a tool to do this?

Best regards,
Johannes