Tracking flash IO activity?

Brian Norris computersforpeace at gmail.com
Sat May 16 13:53:54 PDT 2015

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 10:41:53PM +0200, valent.turkovic at gmail.com wrote:
> I have used iostat but it is not showing any changes on /dev/mtdblock5
> which is mounted as /overlay jffs2 partition on this device I'm using.
> I have also checked stats in /proc/diskstat, and they also only change
> for /dev/mmcblk0p1 which is usb device, but not for any of
> /dev/mtdblockX partitions.

JFFS2 doesn't actually use mtdblock. At most, it uses it as a
placeholder, which tells it to actually use the corresponding /dev/mtdX
device:

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/jffs2.html#L_mtdblock

> > through fio and iostats , just starts an io through dd gets status through
> > iostats, i have not used but i know.

Those are all for monitoring block devices. MTDs are not block devices:

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/general.html#L_mtd_what

I don't know of any similar IO stats for MTDs, sorry.

Brian