RFC: detect and manage power cut on MLC NAND

nick xerofoify at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 20:38:03 PDT 2015

On 2015-03-19 08:25 PM, Iwo Mergler wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I've been thinking a little about the paired pages problem.
>
> The patented mitigation methods I've seen so far are
>
> 1)  SanDisk: Use a separate log mechanism to back up LSB page
> while writing MSB page.
>
> 2) M-Systems: Within the block, interleave backup copies of LSB
> pages when writing MSB pages.
>
> 3) Micron: Use as a half-capacity SLC device by writing LSB and MSB
> pages such that the levels are reinforced. Jeff mentioned this one.
>

> Here is another idea. I assume it's patented already, in which case
> I'd like to hear about it. If not, consider this published as of now :-)
>

> Get UBI to map the paired pages into a single write unit. Jumbo page
> if you will.  So, instead of a block with 64 pages, we get 32 pages,
> twice as large.
>
> Thus, the paired pages will be written in quick succession. A power
> cut during this is reduced to the unstable bits issue we already have
> with SLC.
>
> UBI could take the risk and split the first page pair between EC and
> VID headers, replacing the EC info with average in case of unlikely
> failure.
>
> Would this work?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Iwo

Iwo,
Not a bad idea but what happens if the power gets cut after the first 2 pages then we lose
30 pages worth of data.  Unless the hardware is very fast and can move the pages over in
a millisecond or less then this can't really worth. However if we make these transactions
atomic in nature this may work better as CPU instruction respond is in the nanosecond range
even on low cost embedded boards using UBI for raw flash embedded on to themselves.
Nick