UBI/UBIFS: debugging help

Renaud Barbier renaud.barbier at ge.com
Tue Mar 17 11:31:01 PDT 2015

 I have added debug messages in the Linux UBIFS driver (I am using Linux
3.14) and noticed as well that read_block returns -ENOENT several times
toward the end of the copy of a file (512KB). Though, the Linux system
is able to read the whole file correctly (checksum is correct).

The boot loader however bails out on error.

The read_block  issue disappears if I delete, copy it back and remount
the UBIFS file system.

Below is the way I create the UBI image before formatting the SPI-nor:
# mkfs.ubifs -vv -F -d boot -m 1 -e 65408 -c 380  -U -x lzo -o boot.img
# ubinize -v -o test3_nor.img -p 64KiB -m 1 ubinize.cfg

with ubinize.cfg:
# Section header
[boot]
mode=ubi
# Source image
image=boot.img
# Volume ID in UBI image
vol_id=0
# Volume size
vol_size=25MiB
# Allow for static resize
vol_type=dynamic
# Volume name
vol_name=boot

So in summary, if I ubiformat the partition from Linux with a ubi image,
the Linux UBIFS driver function read_block returns ENOENT during file
copy and it completes.
However, if I copy a file to the UBIFS partition and read back after
re-mounting there is no issue.

Would somebody know whether the parameters to mkfs.ubifs and ubinize
have anything to do with read_block failing?

I created UBI images before for a flash with 128KB sectors and not seen
this problem.

Cheers.