RFC: detect and manage power cut on MLC NAND

Jeff Lauruhn (jlauruhn) jlauruhn at micron.com
Mon Mar 16 09:02:27 PDT 2015

"What if it is set low while NAND is ready - that is it can accept new commands - but an erase operation is in progress?".  Again, the likelihood is low, in this case a block that was intended to be erased my not be fully erase, it can be fully erased when power returns.  No data will lost because the block was intended to be erased anyway.

"Does the erase operation complete anyway?"  There has been a lot of work done to mitigate power loss on NAND, but I haven't ever seen a design from any NAND vendor that is 100%.  Surprise power loss should be avoided on NAND or consider power detection and elegant shutdown circuitry.

Jeff Lauruhn
NAND Application Engineer
Embedded Business Unit