Testing generic empty page bit flips recovery

Franklin S Cooper Jr. fcooper at ti.com
Wed Dec 30 09:45:38 PST 2015

On 12/30/2015 10:59 AM, Boris Brezillon wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Which explains why you're seeing the bitflip in the dump, but nothing
>>> reported by the MTD layer.
>>>
>>> After applying my patch, the bitflip should simply disappear. You can
>>> then try to generate more bitflips than the engine can actually fix
>>> (nandflipbits /dev/mtd4 1 at 0:5 at 0:49 at 0:98 at 0:132 at 0) and check that MTD
>>> reports an uncorrectable error.
>> I verified that I am indeed using ecc4bit mode.
>>
>> I attempted to run the series of nandflipsbits as you
>> suggested but I get "invalid bit description" error from the
>> utility. Some reason I  can only use the nandflipsbits
>> utility for bits 1-7. Anything higher and I get the "Invalid
>> bit description" error.
> Indeed. I developed that tool a long time ago and didn't remember that
> the bit field is encoding the bit offset within a byte. This command
> should work.
>
> nandflipbits /dev/mtd4 1 at 0:5 at 0:7 at 30:3 at 46:5 at 47
>
>> On the latest master commit I ran nandflipsbits for bits 1-7
>> at address 0. However, I still didn't receive any error from
>> nanddump although I do see the flip bits from the hexdump
>> /tmp/dump output.
> How many of them do you see?
>
>> I then applied your patchset ontop of the latest mainline
>> and ran nandflipsbits for bits 1-7 at address 0.
>> I get the below output which seems to be correct.
>>
>> root at k2e-evm:~# ./nandflipbits /dev/mtd4 1 at 0
>> root at k2e-evm:~# ./nandflipbits /dev/mtd4 2 at 0
>> root at k2e-evm:~# ./nandflipbits /dev/mtd4 3 at 0
>> root at k2e-evm:~# ./nandflipbits /dev/mtd4 4 at 0
>> root at k2e-evm:~# ./nandflipbits /dev/mtd4 5 at 0
>> root at k2e-evm:~# ./nandflipbits /dev/mtd4 6 at 0
>> root at k2e-evm:~# ./nandflipbits /dev/mtd4 7 at 0
>> root at k2e-evm:~# ./nanddump -f /tmp/dump -s 0 -l 2048
>> /dev/mtd4
>>
>> ECC failed: 1
>> ECC corrected: 18
>> Number of bad blocks: 0
>> Number of bbt blocks: 4
>> Block size 131072, page size 2048, OOB size 64
>> Dumping data starting at 0x00000000 and ending at 0x00000800...
>> ECC: 4 corrected bitflip(s) at offset 0x00000000
>> root at k2e-evm:~# hexdump /tmp/dump
>> 0000000 ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff
>> *
>> 0000800
> Hm, that's weird. You should get an ECC failure since the ECC strength
> is only 4bits/512byte and you 8 bits have been flipped.
>
>> One thing that confuses me is if I repeatedly call nanddump
>> I continue to get the "ECC: 4 corrected bitflips" message
>> and the "ECC corrected" count increases by 4 each time. If
>> these bits are being corrected which is apparent from
>> looking at the output of nanddump shouldn't sequential calls
>> indicate that no bitflips needed to be corrected since it
>> was corrected previously?
> Nope, they're corrected on the fly and only in RAM, so each time you
> read the page, you'll have to fix the bitflips until you erase and

Hi Boris,

Here is the entire output that should answer your questions.

In the log I am running the following commands:
flash_erase /dev/mtd4 0 0
./nanddump -f /tmp/dump -s 0 -l 2048 /dev/mtd4
hexdump /tmp/dump
./nandflipbits /dev/mtd4 1 at 0:5 at 0:7 at 30:3 at 46:5 at 47
./nanddump -f /tmp/dump -s 0 -l 2048 /dev/mtd4
hexdump /tmp/dump

Output on mainline kernel without bitflip correction patches:
http://pastebin.com/MgBVxALR

Output on mainline kernel with bitflip correction patches:
http://pastebin.com/NdKv0NhV

Some reason I'm only getting 1 bit being corrected when
using the bitflip correction patches. Comparing my logs from
before to now the only difference I'm seeing is that ECC
failed is increasing but ECC corrected isn't changing.