process prioritization and mtd access

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Apr 24 06:08:10 PDT 2015

I have a question related to process prioritization and mtd access.
Prioritization and scheduling are not areas which I'm too familiar with
so I'm not too sure exactly how to phrase this.

Say we have two processes running at different priorities, with their
respective binaries in a filesystem residing on an mtd device.

Now, assuming that the processes binaries have been loaded into memory, we
see that process prioritization works as expected. However, while the
system is paging data in from the respective binaries in the flash, both
processes seem to get the same priority. This means that the low priority
process tends to block the high priority process, which is not what we
want.

There is an I/O prioritization mechanism for block devices, but mtd
devices are not block devices so it can't be used. I don't know if it
would apply in this case anyway.

Is there some form of mechanism to handle this on a file system level?

I can't recall seeing anything about this down at the mtd layer, at least
not in the NAND parts which I'm the most familiar with.

Anyone have any pointers?

/Ricard