Question about adding a NAND device

Robert Hurdle RHurdle at Rugged.com
Wed Sep 17 14:59:22 PDT 2014

Hello,

	I have ported some of u-boot to our board, and I am booting successfully from EEPROM.
	I am now in the process of adding the NAND and flash file system support for our non-standard
	flash interface (there's an FPGA interface between the software and the 1 giga-byte NAND) to
	u-boot and also to the Linux kernel.  In addition, it is our intention to support UBIFS on our board.

	It appears that I need to understand how the structures mtd_info and nand_chip (and whatever
	they point at) and code in nand_base.c work, in order to provide working routines at the NAND
	level.  I have looked at some of the files in u-boot/drivers/mtd/nand for other boards, and see
	a wide variety of models, no doubt based on the hardware differences.   Because of our FPGA
	interface, I need to have all commands to the NAND chip get re-packaged into commands that
	get passed to the FPGA.  Am I on the right path?

	My other question is how long would one guess that this task would take for someone fairly
	competent, but uninitiated in UBIFS, UBI, MTD, NAND, etc. ?

	Any advice is appreciated.

	Thank you,

	Robert Hurdle
	Aitech Defense Systems (Space Division)