SV: bad node type after using ubiupdatevol

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 07:17:45 PDT 2014

First of all, do you have fastmap enabled or disabled (check
your .config)

On Mon, 2014-10-20 at 13:57 +0000, Per Smitt wrote:
> > Can you experiment and put a very long sleep here, say, 20 minutes. The
> > idea is to wait until UBI finishes all the background operations. This
> > should not matter normally, but may be for your HW/SW it does for some
> > reasons.
>
> I just experimented here with a manual delay somewhere between
> 10 seconds and one minute. I simply disabled the automatic reboot
> in the firmware upgrade and manually rebooted once the writing was
> done.

My hunch is that this just hides/reveals symptoms, and the root-cause is
not related to volume update at all. I thing this is related to flasher.
Namely, if your flasher does not skip empty pages, but writes 0xFFs to
them. See the links below.

> > What may, in theory cause issues may be related to how you flash your
> > images. There are whole bunch of tricks related to this, see [1] and
> > [2]. It is possible that you see the issues only after the update just
> > because you hit them this way first. If you do enough UBIFS operations
> > before update, you may also hit issues due to "improper" flashing.
>
> What are the references [1] and [2] you refer to? I didn't see any references
> added in the email.

Oh, here:

1. http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_flasher_algo
2. http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubifs.html#L_free_space_fixup

Could you please try to re-create your image with '--space-fixup' and
try what you do (without adding any delays).

But validating the flash is a good idea irrespective.

> > To exclude those, please either use ubiformat, or just start with fully
> > erase flash, and attach it to UBI, so UBI formats it. Then you may be
> > sure it is not your u-boot/firmware/whatever flasher doing nasty things.
>
> I have a hard time doing this since I have only one mtd-partition except
> for my kernel partition. I could perhaps try to boot Linux from the SD-card
> and then write the ubifs from there.

Yea, booting form an SD card would be the way to go. But you can start
with just quick-trying '--space-fixup' first.

Artem.