UBI: ignore/overwrite old data/PEBs after flashing

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 04:54:46 PDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-10-16 at 13:38 +0200, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> On 16 October 2014 13:27, Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I'm not sure if something like this is possible. My driver would need
> >> to have a very good understanding of UBI to know which PEBs to leave
> >> and which to clean. I would need to find out which PEBs were recently
> >> flashed (are part of the just-installed firmware) and which are left
> >> from the previous installation.
> >
> > Why? All you need is to erase all PEBs which contain those "100MiB of
> > rubbish". They will be sequential.
>
> The problem is all my 118 MiB UBI partition consist of PEBs with UBI
> headers. This is because I was using firmware with UBI partition
> before flashing the new firmware.

Hmm, normally different images have different sequence numbers, because
ubnize picks a random 64-bit number. And UBI will refuse attaching the
flash if it finds out that there is more than one sequence number used.

Anyway, let's assume the worst case - you have all 100MiB of PEBs
contain UBI headers with the same sequence number. Now you flash your
18MiB image with the same sequence number.

UBI may actually even attach it without complaining. But it will be
completely messed up, you may find random data in your LEBs.

Very bed. Yr cannot fix this from within UBI, because for UBI all blocks
will look valid. So it will mix the new and old data in a random way. Or
it will fail if it find an inconsistency.

> So there is 118 MiB of space filled with UBI-header-ed PEBs, but only
> first few first MiBs of PEBs are coming from the recently flashed
> firmware. The rest of PEBs are old data (but they still contain UBI
> headers).

Yeah, so the point is that if you know that the last PEB of the new
image is X, you may erase all PEBs after X using the 'flashcleaner'
driver.

> If I could modify UBI this would be much easier. I was thinking about
> appending a one special block to the ubinized image. This could be PEB
> with UBI header containing some flag START_ERASING_FROM_HERE. Such a
> flag could be removed after erasing rubbish to minimize the risk of
> situation you described.

This sounds like an elegant solution.

But what if the image contains fastmap?