[3.17.0-rc6] staging: drivers: staging: mt29f_spinand: mt29f_spinand.c: compatible string

Aya Mahfouz mahfouz.saif.elyazal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 16:42:48 PDT 2014

Hello Everyone,

My name is Aya Mahfouz. I'm new to the Linux Kernel development
process and I'm working on fixing some warnings as part of my
application process to the Gnome OPW program.

When using checkpatch.pl, I get the following warning:
WARNING: DT compatible string "spinand,mt29f" appears un-documented
-- check ./Documentation/devicetree/bindings/
#926:FILE: drivers/staging/mt29f_spinand/mt29f_spinand.c:926:
+       { .compatible = "spinand,mt29f", },

If I place the string "spinand,mt29f" in
./Documentation/devicetree/bindings/vendor-prefixes.txt
with any name the warning will be silenced. Are there
any means to knowing the vendor? A quick google search
states that it is "Micron Technology Inc" and that
"spinand" is a shorthand for a device by Micron.

Thank you all,

Kind Regards,
Aya Saif El-yazal Mahfouz