Corrupt empty space

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 03:31:57 EDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-03-21 at 07:18 +0000, Gupta, Pekon wrote:
> It's still getting discussed in [a] and [b]. But there are multiple issues to it.
>
>  (1) Many hardware controllers cannot parse ECC errors in blank-pages.
>    So, checking number of 0-bits in a page is done in software by comparing
>    each byte with 0xff.

OK.

> (2) Counting number of 0-bits in a page in software, brings down your read-performance.

UBIFS _only_ needs this when doing recovery, which is _only_ done after
unclean reboots, and this kind of reads would be done _only_ for a
couple of max I/O units and _only_ if there is a corrupted node in the
journal.

IOW, this would be done rarely, and for just few pages on mount.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy