[RFC/PATCH 0/1] mtd: Add NAND ECC devicetree binding

Gupta, Pekon pekon at ti.com
Fri Jan 17 12:58:13 EST 2014

Hi Ezequiel,

>From: Ezequiel Garcia [mailto:ezequiel.garcia at free-electrons.com]
>
>This patch is our first proposal to address the need for a suitable ECC
>devicetree binding.
>
>NAND controllers have special ECC modes, raising per-driver ECC mode devicetree
>binding. See for instance the binding for OMAP:
>
> - ti,nand-ecc-opt: A string setting the ECC layout to use. One of:
>	"sw"		<deprecated> use "ham1" instead
>	"hw"		<deprecated> use "ham1" instead
>	"hw-romcode"	<deprecated> use "ham1" instead
>	"ham1"		1-bit Hamming ecc code
>	"bch4"		4-bit BCH ecc code
>	"bch8"		8-bit BCH ecc code
>
>Other drivers (such as pxa3xx-nand) have similar requirements, with special
>(controller-specific) ECC modes. Instead of adding a possibly different binding
>per compatible-string, let's add generic ECC strength and ECC step size.
>
>This properties should describe completely the ECC mode and let drivers choose
>the appropriate ECC mode.

Yes, this is good approach.
It was found earlier that generic NAND DT bindings are not much use to other
controllers as well, as different h/w engines have different interpretations.
Brian Norris had similar comments giving example of his hardware.
(hope following reference helps).

[1] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2013-September/048869.html

with regards, pekon