UBIFS seeing corrupt blank pages when image flashed via u-boot

Artem Bityutskiy artem.bityutskiy at linux.intel.com
Thu Jan 16 03:22:58 EST 2014

On Thu, 2014-01-16 at 07:44 +0000, Gupta, Pekon wrote:
> However, *assuming NAND driver can identify erased-page correctly*,
> I don't want  UBI/UBIFS to re-check the read_buf for 0xff again, because
>  underlying NAND driver has already identified as erased-page, and
> fixed the data before passing it to above MTD layer.

I would agree only if this identification costs nothing, or very little.
If for _some_ setups this would be about comparing buffers against 0xFF
for every single read - then I am so sure.

Indeed, UBIFS only needs to check for blank areas at the recovery time.
Normal reads do not need this. So _if_ there are measurable costs, I'd
argue that there is no need for people to pay it for nothing during
normal file I/O.

Hmm?

Thanks!

--