Question about AM335x SoC supported NAND flash

Gupta, Pekon pekon at ti.com
Wed Feb 19 12:55:21 EST 2014

Hi Ezequiel,

>From: Ezequiel García [mailto:ezequiel at vanguardiasur.com.ar]
>
>Hi guys,
>
>We're developing a custom AM335x-based board, which is meant to boot from NAND.
>
>The flash device is a Micron MT29F8G08ABABA NAND. This device is ONFI-compliant
>and has 4 KiB page size, 512 KiB block size.
>
>Accessing it from U-Boot and Linux works just fine, apparently in ECC BCH8 mode.
>
>However, we cannot get the SoC to boot from NAND. We've double-checked
>the hardware
>and the SYSBOOT, but still no luck with it.

It's a 4K pagesize device with OOBsize=128, so ROM code expects BCH16 ECC scheme
to boot SPL. Though I have locally tested BCH16 support for both u-boot and kernel,
And even booted end-to-end using BCH16 on beaglebone with 4K page NAND cape,
But that's all locally..
Many prior dependent patches are still awaiting acceptance in mainline list.

For BCH16 u-boot configs (but driver support is still lacking in mainline u-boot):
[1] https://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Linux_Core_NAND_User%27s_Guide#ECC_schemes_support

with regards, pekon