Synchronization in UBIFS (zero length files)

Tanya Brokhman tlinder at codeaurora.org
Thu Dec 18 00:34:23 PST 2014

Hi Artem/Richard

I've been looking into the "zero length files" issue in UBIFS and came
across "Synchronization exceptions for buggy applications" @
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html#L_sync_semantics. This
section concludes with:

"We have plans to implement these features in UBIFS, but this has not
been done yet. The problem is that UBI/MTD are fully synchronous and we
cannot initiate asynchronous write-out, so we'd have to synchronously
write files on close/rename, which is slow. So implementing these
features would require implementing asynchronous I/O in UBI, which is a
big job. But feel free to do this :-)."

So two questions:
1. was anything done in ubifs to handle file truncation and rename
similar to ext4? Didn't find anything but afraid I might be missing
something
2. Not sure I understand why "implementing these features would require
implementing asynchronous I/O in UBI". Could you please elaborate on this?

Thanks,
Tanya Brokhman
--
Qualcomm Israel, on behalf of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora