[RFC] mtd: nand: Preparatory patch for adding on-die ECC controller support. This patch adds NAND_ECC_HW_ON_DIE and all other changes to generic code.

Gerhard Sittig gsi at denx.de
Tue Apr 1 06:49:18 PDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-01 at 02:12 -0700, Brian Norris wrote:

> BTW, do these flash power on in any particular default mode? Can you
> order versions that have on-die ECC enabeld/disabled by default? Is that
> perhaps what the READ_ID "Internal ECC" flag actually means
> (disabled/enabled by default)?

According to the datasheet the chips come out of RESET with
on-die-ECC disabled.  The setup that I have seen does enable the
in-chip feature within an early loader.  Subsequently running
bootloaders and OSes (here: U-Boot and Linux) find the chip with
on-die-ECC enabled.

I understand that READ_ID will tell you whether on-die-ECC is
supported by the chip.  The GETFEATURE request tells you whether
it's enabled.  And SETFEATURE allows you to control whether it's
enabled or disabled.

virtually yours
Gerhard Sittig
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr. 5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de