at91: ubi: UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_iget: failed to read inode 1, error -2

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Wed Nov 20 09:04:25 EST 2013

Adding appropriate UBIFS maintainers and the mtd mailing list to the thread as this deals with the UBIFS.

I took a deeper look at the commit history of the kernel I am using, and the last UBI/UBIFS patches to my kernel that I found in the mainline kernel are:

UBIFS: fix mounting problems after power cuts
UBIFS: introduce categorized lprops counter

which were merged into the mainline kernel on 2012-11-15.  I don't see any UBI/UBIFS related patches since then that specifically mention the error I'm seeing.  However, there are a few notable bugs that have been fixed since then such as:

UBIFS: fix use of freed ubifs_orphan objects
UBIFS: fix double free of ubifs_orphan objects
ubifs: wait for page writeback to provide stable pages
UBIFS: prepare to fix a horrid bug
UBIFS: fix a horrid bug
UBI: Fix PEB leak in wear_leveling_worker()

Could not having these fixes in place lead to the issue I'm seeing if there is a power cut?  The kernel I am using does not yet have support for fastmap and I am using the default UBI/UBIFS configuration (4096 wear-leveling, 2% reserved eraseblocks for bad eraseblock handling).  The boards on which I am having an issue are test boards that have been in use long enough that wear-leveling should be occurring.  And as previously noted, I still have at least one board in its broken state if the flash image would be useful for someone (or if someone knows what I should be looking for to figure out what happened).

Thanks,
Bryan