Bad blocks while attaching UBIFS

Fernando Silveira fsilveira at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 13:42:11 EST 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Artem Bityutskiy <dedekind1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>   2. If yes, what might be wrong with my driver?
>
> Does it handle short reads properly? Please, run mtd tests to validate
> your driver.

There is a bug in the error detection algorithm within my driver/flash
controller and I'm debugging it to fix the problem.

In the mean time I'd like to know if a simple UBI attach procedure
(e.g. "ubi.mtd=root" at the Linux cmdline) writes anything to the
flash or not. And what about a read-only mount of a UBIFS partition?
Does it write anything?

I'm worried about it because my flash has a VERY low limit for
erasing/writing blocks and I'd like to avoid passing read-only
arguments to the "mtdparts" parameter (e.g.
"mtdparts=mynand:8m(boot),-(root)ro") and base only whether I write to
/dev/ubiX or mount the UBIFS partitions in read-write mode.

Regards.

--
Fernando Silveira