Flashing UBIFS image to gluebi mtd

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Fri Nov 1 03:48:38 EDT 2013

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

> 31.10.2013, 19:08, "Ezequiel Garcia" <ezequiel.garcia at free-electrons.com>:
>> Hi Konstantin,
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 05:48:34PM +0400, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
>>
>>>  I'm migrating rootfs of device from SquashFS on top of gluebi to UBIFS.
>>
>> Sounds like you could use ubiblock for that setup, which is suitable
>> for squashfs, and completely independent of ubifs (thus less cpu and
>> memory hungry and easier to setup).
>
> Could you elaborate this a bit more? Do you mean that block device emultaion
> layer on top of UBI + FS on top of that can work faster than UBIFS on top of
> UBI?
>
> Btw, I'm more interested in finding out in what way my UBIFS volume can be
> broken in given scenario and how can I detect it (to reflash once again,
> using UBI-aware updater this time).

You didn't mention how you overwrote your UBI partition with new data. dd
? nandwrite ? I'm getting the impression your problem is based on the fact
that when updating the firmware, you are using update firmware which is
not UBI aware, and you don't get UBI-awareness on the system until you've
done the update. A chicken-and-egg-situation. One solution in that case
would be to have an intermediate firmware which was identical to what was
in the device to start with but that had an UBI-aware upgrade application.

Also I don't think you mentioned exactly your old setup. I'm assuming
squashfs on top of mtd, with no UBI involved, right?

/Ricard