UBIFS failure & stable page writes

Jan Kara jack at suse.cz
Mon May 27 08:18:28 EDT 2013

  Dear Prins,

On Mon 27-05-13 13:17:42, Prins Anton (ST-CO/ENG1.1) wrote:
> We are doing experiments with file systems on NAND flashes and experience
> some problems with UBIFS.  If required; it recovers correct, but on a
> certain moment (at boot) it seems it cannot find its root node anymore
> (recovery succeeded)
>
> While reading the logs on the kernel.org I came across your patch:
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/fs/ubifs?id=182dcfd648aef0705fd04c42cbe507c09e00c25d
>
> Do you have some information what you experience in case of failure? Is
> it possible to lose (consequent) a root-node because unstable page
> writes?
  No, stable page write work shouldn't have any impact on this. NAND flash
isn't the kind of storage that requires stable pages. I think it's the best
if you ask ubifs maintainers directly - I've CCed them. BTW, you didn't
mention which kernel version you are using.

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack at suse.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR