Updating JFFS2 port to eCos for NOR-ECC support

Max Seidenstuecker naturally-aligned at web.de
Fri May 24 14:13:14 EDT 2013

Hi folks,

I am in the process of bringing the current JFFS2 to eCos to support
NOR-ECC flash that is not supported in its current version.

First of all I need to admit that I am unexperienced in Linux kernel
development, so its a steep learning curve with every bit I am
converting.

My concerns are with rw_semaphores, mutexes and the workqueue occuring
in wbuf.c that I am not sure to deal with. Either they can be mapped
onto s.th. similar or be dropped. A rw_sempahore is mapped onto a
normal semaphore with the note: "lets hope we don't deadlock
somewhere." Can we be sure about that? Locks are called from the
workqueue and the thread JFFS2 runs in. I am a little lost here.

eCos JFFS2 does not have a MTD layer, no write-buffer yet, no GC and
the linux specific POSIX ACL, security bits, xattr. I think the linux
specific features can be safely ignored. But what about a GC thread?
The config option in eCos says "Leave this off till it's been
implemented. And don't implement it till icache locking has been made
thread-safe." icache in this case means inode cache, as Andrew Lunn
pointed out: http://sourceware-org.1504.n7.nabble.com/jffs2-garbage-collect-td187600.html#a187601
Has this been addressed?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Maybe thre are good reasons why
JFFS2 in eCos has not been updated in a while. Please let me know
anything you know about it.

--
Beste Grüße / best regards

Max Seidenstücker