UBIFS: power cut test on 2.6.35 + NOR

Brian Norris computersforpeace at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 22:08:25 EDT 2013

(Adding Huang, who has also debugged (different) problems with this NOR driver)

Hi Enrico,

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 6:36 AM, enrico benetti
<enrico.benetti at bluewind.it> wrote:
> [   20.391279] MTD do_write_buffer(): software timeout
> [   20.452081] UBI error: nor_erase_prepare: cannot invalidate PEB 25,
> write returned -5 read returned 2
>
> Digging the web, I've found several discussions on write-timeout with
> NOR devices
> (cfr.http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2013-June/047177.html),
> but this seems not to be the root cause.

I'm curious: what makes you think this has a different root cause?

I'm still working on debugging the do_write_buffer timeout on my
systems. I'd recommend trying to increase the timeout in
do_write_buffer(), just to see if your kernel isn't waiting long
enough. (In my case, I can pretty well show that while the code *says*
it's waiting for a whole jiffy -- at least 1ms -- it is in fact
waiting less than that.)

I believe Huang's resolution for his problem was actually a problem
with the flash part itself.

Brian