[Q] Using Micron 4-bit on-die ECC with v2.6.36 kernel?

Brian Foster brian.foster at maximintegrated.com
Thu Jul 4 08:35:34 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 03-July-2013 09:20:47 David Mosberger-Tang wrote:
> I think you're right.  We use UBI which doesn't use oob at all
> (apart from ECC bytes) so we're not worried about errors in the
> OOB-areas that are ECC-protected.

David,

 Ok.  Pedantically, you are using the OOB in one very small
 sense:  The OOB is where the BBT marker and version is kept.
 So UBI does use OOB in, typically, just two (2) blocks.  ;-)

 In our case, whilst _we_ are like you on our reference boards,
 potentially some people may use JFFS2 or YAFFS, so I suspect
 I will include those EEC-checked bytes in the OOB in bit-flip
 counting.

cheers!
	-blf-

--
Brian Foster
Principal MTS, Software        |  La Ciotat, France