questions about parallelism in MTD

Sunghan Suh sunghan.suh at samsung.com
Mon Jan 21 00:38:49 EST 2013

Hi,

I'm a software engineer who is trying to develop a new flash file system.

I have some questions about MTD.

1. Isn't there any approach to make read/write operations to be non-blocking?
  For example, a file system writes data to MTD and it doesn't want to wait on I/O completion.
  While writing, it tries to do other things in order to increase performance.
  How can I use MTD such a case?

2. How can I utilize multiple plane & die architectures in MTD?
  As MLC & TLC used, write latency is getting much larger.
  Instead, flash memory supports multiple plane & die to increase parallelism.
  Is there a MTD driver fully supporting these features?

Thanks.