mtdoops: helper application for readout?

Brian Norris computersforpeace at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 19:26:54 EST 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Alexander Stein
<alexander.stein at systec-electronic.com> wrote:
> is there already some helper application which can shows the stored oops/panics with mtdoops?

After a bit of googling, it looks like there are scattered URL
references to a no-longer-available "oopslog.c", written by the author
of mtdoops, Richard Purdie. I CC'd him at his last-known address from
the git logs, but he doesn't seem to have touched this in a while.

AFAIK, the output from mtdoops is just plain text data (not
compressed), so you can just dump it straight from the /dev/mtdX
(where X is the MTD number) with something like 'cat /dev/mtdX'. Of
course, that will not account for when the ring buffer wraps around
nor if there are bad blocks.

Brian

P.S. With a little more digging, I found a source tarball in the Maemo
archives that contains oopslog.c. It's a very simple program, and I
haven't tested it. Use at your own risk:

http://maemo.org/packages/view/sp-oops-extract/

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/maemo5.0/free/s/sp-oops-extract/sp-oops-extract_0.0.7-1.tar.gz