cfi_cmdset_0002: reading and writing one time programmable memory

Christian Riesch christian.riesch at omicron.at
Sat Feb 9 03:35:09 EST 2013

Hello,

I would like to extend the AMD command set for reading/writing/locking
of one time programmable (OTP) memory areas (called secure silicon in
Spansion device, called extended memory region in Micron devices...). In
particular I would like to support the 256 byte extended memory region
of Micron M29EW devices. Currently the code in
drivers/mtd/chips/cfi_cmdset_0002.c only supports reading of the first 8
bytes of this memory area.

I have already implemented this support partially, but before posting a
first patchset, I have a few questions regarding the current code in
do_read_secsi_onechip() in drivers/mtd/chips/cfi_cmdset_0002.c.

This function first waits for the chip to get into FL_READY state? Could
the get_chip() function be used instead here?

After sending the 0xaa/0x55/0x88 command to the device, the
OTP/SecSi/... memory is mapped to addresses 0x00 - 0xff of the device.
Does this require putting xip_disable/xip_enable around this code?
Should the cache get invalidated before reading? Should the function get
marked __xipram?

Thanks for your help!
Christian