Support for Micron N25Q512

Chuck Peplinski chuck at mds.com
Tue Dec 31 12:52:25 EST 2013

Hello-
We have a board that contains a TI ARM and the Micron N25Q512 and I've
been working to support it using the mtd driver in a recent Linux
distribution.  I'd like to bring my code more into alignment with your
code.  I see a number of things that confuse me.  I understand that this
is the place to discuss.

I'm working with TI Linux code based on Linux 2.6.
When I refer to "your codebase", I mean
     git://git.infradead.org/linux-mtd.git, SHA1 ID 15b540c.
I have diff'ed this code against what is provided to me in the older 2.6
version and I understand the differences.  They don't seem to make the
code work on my board.

Searching the archives, I see that there has recently been activity to
support a device with this name.  I also see an interesting thread about
a new framework for SPI-NOR.  And I see reference to a file
     drivers/mtd/devices/st_spi_fsm.c
But I don't see this file in the head of the code base.

- The JEDEC ID that I read is 0x20ba20, while the version in your
codebase names it 0x20bb20.
- To make the device work, I've had to add code to read the "flag status
register" and wait for transactions to complete.  This is as illustrated
in the micron example code available from their web site.  As I hacked
this into m25p80.c, it is quite specific to my device and not generic.
So that can't be the right way to do it.

I'm familiar with the differences between kernel versions.  I realize my
code is not the latest, but I am ready to handle things like this.  How
can I get connected to the latest work in the mtd driver and synchronize
my work with it?

     Chuck

--
Chuck Peplinski