UBI+UBIFS on Read-Only NAND

Thomas Herrmann THerrmann at ADwin.de
Thu Dec 5 07:53:47 EST 2013

We had an old JFFS based system that had a dip switch connected to the
write-enable pin of the flash device, and it worked as expected. Users
were able to configure and use the system in r/w mode and then "lock"
the configuration.

I tried the same with our newer hardware, and UBI/UBIFS. I did not use
static volumes, since write support is essential for initial setup.
However, the system will not boot if the flash is write-protected in
hardware, because UBI assumes that it is R/W.

What is the suggested solution for such a setup? I could not find
anything in the FAQ or in the archive, but I may have been searching for
the wrong keywords...

Regards
Thomas Herrmann