[RFC/PATCH v2] ubi: Add ubiblock read-write driver

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 08:31:13 EDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-04-19 at 07:57 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> the reason we're talking about not allowing write support at the
> *block* layer
> is because it's questionable how many people actually want this, the
> performance isn't good (compared to native flash filesystems), and
> because the
> write/wear characteristics are unknown.

My opinion that unless people demonstrate that they need this, e.g. in a
product, etc, we should not merge this stuff.

We recently merged fastmap, which is a big chunk of code, and it looks
like no one really needs it. There was a problem report, and Richard
promised to look, but did not. I do not blame him, he is a busy guy. But
this shoes that this feature is not really needed, while adds
maintenance burden.

To put it differently, I do recommend to merge more UBI-related code
without a solid user-base.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy