[RFC/PATCH v2] ubi: Add ubiblock read-write driver

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Apr 18 21:28:16 EDT 2013

On Thursday 18 April 2013 20:13:00 Ezequiel Garcia wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 04:30:55PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > i wonder if the write support should be put behind a CONFIG option.
> > personally, the write support is kind of neat and semi-useful for
> > development, but i don't plan on shipping anything on that :).  i just
> > want read-only support to load an ext2 fs on top of UBI.
>
> Mmm... good input. Maybe putting write support behind a CONFIG and
> showing a big fat warning when the module loads will do?
> (something to prevent regular users from using this carelessly).
>
> May I ask why would you want to put ext2 fs? Have you considered f2fs?

well, unless i misread things, f2fs is designed for consumer flash
(mmc/cf/etc...) where the flash (e.g. NAND) is behind a FTL.  the device i'm
interested isn't behind a FTL (the NAND is connected directly to the NAND
controller in the SoC), so i want to run UBI on it to handle the bad blocks
and junk.  otherwise, the ext2 is always read-only, so the write
characteristics don't matter.
-mike