UBI, udev and systemd

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Mon Apr 8 09:17:08 EDT 2013

Hi,

I've got a problem when using systemd and UBI. The problem manifests
itself as systemd waiting for a given UBI device to become ready so it can
perform a mount operation listed in /etc/fstab.

More specifically, /etc/fstab contains a line of the form:

/dev/ubi0_25         /usr/local         ubifs      defaults           0 0

and /dev/ubi0_25 is created by the kernel when it attaches /dev/mtd2 to
/dev/ubi0 . We use devtmpfs, and it can be seen that /dev/ubi0_25 appears
just after devtmpfs is mounted.

However, when systemd then comes to mount /usr/local, it times out,
claiming that /dev/ubi0_25 never becomes ready. Normally, the kernel
would notify udev which in turn would notify systemd that the device
exists.

The device node does exist, and ubinfo says the corresponding volume is
present in /dev/ubi0.

(In the actual case, /dev/ubi0_25 is symlink and not a hard coded devices;
however, I've crystalized the problem down to occurring also with hard
coded device names to try and narrow it down).

I know this might be a more systemd-related issue, however, it seems that
there might be something about the way UBI reports device state changes to
udev etc, or that just someone using UBI and systemd on their system has
had a similar problem and solved it.

/Ricard