[RFC/PATCH 0/1] ubi: Add ubiblock driver

Artem Bityutskiy dedekind1 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 06:15:46 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 06:28 +0100, Ricard Wanderlof wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2012, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:
>
> > I'm happy to announce we finally have a read/write ubiblock implementation!
> >
> > What follows are some historical notes and some implementation hints.
> > Feel free to comment on anything, ask questions or provide feedback.
> > You can even fire some flames if you like, my asbestos suite works just fine ;-)
>
> I don't want to diminish your work in any way, but what is the point of
> the ubiblock feature? Mtd block devices are really only used in order to
> give the mount/umount commands a block device, and for ubifs the device is
> specified in another way. So I suspect the intended usage for ubiblock is
> something else.

Well, it would give you a _usable_ block device. mtdblocks are unusable
because they ignore bad blocks, no wear-levelling, no power-cut
tolerance.

When/if we have ubiblock devices, we can kill mtdblock devices even, and
may be have some thin layer which would emulate mtdblock devices
optionally. They would be ubublock devices whti mtdblock name and
major:minor. Hmm? Makes sense?

P.S. Dunno why people were removed from CC. If this was done on purpose
- I do not think it was a good idea.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy