state of support for "external ECC hardware"

Gerlando Falauto gerlando.falauto at keymile.com
Wed Nov 14 05:12:34 EST 2012

Hi Ivan,

thanks once more.
Speaking of compatibility, I was wondering: doesn't a NAND flash have
*any* spare storage space at all, where software could store some
information about the current OOB layout and/or ECC mechanism?
Partition tables on hard drives for instance have a "partition type"
byte which provides some hints about what to expect from the data within
a partition.

This would be especially useful for *future* compatibility (i.e. old
software reading a NAND "formatted" with unknown mechanism could simply
stop working, or force read-only mode disabling ECC altogether).

Feasibility aside, would that make any sense?

Thank you,
Gerlando