state of support for "external ECC hardware"

Gerlando Falauto gerlando.falauto at keymile.com
Thu Nov 8 06:02:27 EST 2012

Hi Chris,

good to hear we're not alone in this thinking... :-)
We're now facing the exact same issue as some Micron NAND chips (most
likely the same one you're dealing with) can no longer live with the
default, simple 1-bit ECC implementation used by default
(NAND_ECC_SOFT), I guess because chances of having multiple bitflips
within the same page are no longer negligible. So some 4-bit ECC
mechanism must be used at the very least.

Support for software-based multiple-bit-resilient ECC mechanism (BCH)
was posted (http://lwn.net/Articles/426856/) by Ivan Djelic (which I
took liberty to Cc:) and merged in March last year.
I haven't been able to track how the situation evolved, but apparently
you need to enable it (in addition to within the kernel configuration),
also within your flash controller setup.
Micron gives an example of how to enable it on a sample NAND host
controller S3C6410 in this TN (rest of the code, mainly from the above
patch, would be already present in recent kernels):
http://www.micron.com/~/media/Documents/Products/Technical%20Note/NAND%20Flash/tn2971_software_bch_ecc_on_linux.pdf

As for hardware-based (or on-die) ECC support, one of the application
notes from Micron (TN-29-56 Enabling On-Die ECC for OMAP3 on
Linux/Android OS,
http://www.micron.com/~/media/Documents/Products/Technical%20Note/NAND%20Flash/tn2956_ondie_ecc_omap3_linux.pdf)
shows how to enable that (rather, it shows how to disable software ECC
altogether after enabling it on the chip). However, I haven't been able
to find a code section where the information returned by the chip
("Rewrite recommended") is actually used to solicit scrubbing... Neither
on the TN, nor on the upstream linux kernel... My next step would be to
give it a go and see what happens.

I'd love to hear some feedback, if anyone has had experience with this.
I know it's not been a long time since your post, but perhaps you've
heard something in the meantime?

I have one additional question though. Looking at the code I got the
impression that decisions upon ECC seem to be based on the flash
controller rather than on the flash chip itself.
I mean, I would think of having a default 1-bit NAND_ECC_SOFT
implementation; only when it is detected that the flash part either
supports HW ECC or requires multiple-bit ECC, should the ECC mode get
switched to NAND_ECC_NONE or NAND_ECC_SOFT_BCH respectively.
No matter what the flash controller, I would say.

Ivan, do you think that makes any sense?

Thank you so much!
Gerlando