determining if a block erasure failed

Joel Reardon joel at clambassador.com
Tue May 15 03:53:38 EDT 2012

I want the caller of erase_worker() to be aware if the erase block became
bad. Here is the relevant code at the end of erase_worker():

/* at this time, the erase has failed. err == -EIO */
        ubi_msg("mark PEB %d as bad", pnum);
        err = ubi_io_mark_bad(ubi, pnum);
        if (err)
                goto out_ro;

/* does other stuff, not touching err */

/* err == 0 here, because of above goto */
        return err;

out_ro:
        ubi_ro_mode(ubi);
        return err;

So, if this function should return zero when the erase block fails, then I
will add a "result" field to ubi_work that will store the result of the
work function. But I figured I'd check first if the return err that always
returns 0 is not an oversight and this function should return -EIO if it
fails.

cheers,
Joel Reardon