Why kernel tasks for each MTD partition?

Thilo Fromm fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Mon May 7 13:26:06 EDT 2012

Hello Artem,

>> while playing around with mtdblock and blockrom (see my other mail[1])
>> I noticed that a separate kernel process is active for each "mtdblock"
>> partition (e.g. ps shows "[mtdblock0]", "[mtdblock1]" kernel processes
>> if you have two MTD partitions and you use mtdblock). These also exist
>> for my blockrom device nodes. Since I see comparable processes for all
>> storage on my Linux workstation I suppose the Linux storage stack runs
>> these. Can somebody please fill me in on what they are?
>
> I guess this is related to the general linux design - every block device
> has to have an I/O queue - and I think each process represent such a
> queue in this case. I am not 100% sure it is the sanest setup for
> mtdblock, may be yes, may be not, needs thinking.

Okay. So I guess I find these in mtd_blkdevs.c?

This still does not explain why I get read accesses to all my
"blockrom" device nodes but not to the "mtdblock" device nodes from
the corresponding processes upon boot, though.

> But in general note, mtdblock stuff needs a lot of love.

Yupp, I keep noticing that :)

--
Dipl.-Ing (FH) Thilo Fromm, MSc., Embedded Systems Architect
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Tel: +49 (30) 515 932 228   mailto:fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 (30) 515 932 77    http://www.dresearch.de
Amtsgericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 130120 B
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058
Geschäftsführer: Dr. M. Weber, W. Mögle