Why kernel tasks for each MTD partition?

Thilo Fromm fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Mon May 7 12:55:33 EDT 2012

Hello *.*,

while playing around with mtdblock and blockrom (see my other mail[1])
I noticed that a separate kernel process is active for each "mtdblock"
partition (e.g. ps shows "[mtdblock0]", "[mtdblock1]" kernel processes
if you have two MTD partitions and you use mtdblock). These also exist
for my blockrom device nodes. Since I see comparable processes for all
storage on my Linux workstation I suppose the Linux storage stack runs
these. Can somebody please fill me in on what they are?

Also, more importantly, I notice accesses on all my device nodes (the
"blockrom" ones) upon system start originating from the corresponding
kernel process. However, the "mtdblock" nodes are not touched by their
kernel processes. How come?

Regards,
Thilo

[1] <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.mtd/41008>

--
Dipl.-Ing (FH) Thilo Fromm, MSc., Embedded Systems Architect
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Tel: +49 (30) 515 932 228   mailto:fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 (30) 515 932 77    http://www.dresearch.de
Amtsgericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 130120 B
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058
Geschäftsführer: Dr. M. Weber, W. Mögle