State of read-only filesystems in NAND / MTD bad blocks handling when reading

Thilo Fromm fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Wed May 2 03:11:52 EDT 2012

Hello,

ping?

> I'm on a TI embedded system on kernel 2.6.37. Could you please fill me
> in on the current state of readonly filesystems living in NAND flash
> w/ bad blocks? I've found several discussions on linux-mtd over the
> years[1][2][3] but none seemed to have reached a conclusion. The point
> is this, while both bootloader and nandwrite will happily skip bad
> blocks encountered upon image write the MTD driver's read function
> will not.
>
> This means I can safely write the root fs into a MTD partition, but I
> cannot read it back safely (let alone mount it). Is there a generic
> way to have the MTD driver auto-skip bad blocks? What happened to
> MTD_BLOCK_RO_BBFREE?
>
> [1] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2004-May/009672.html
> [2] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2004-May/009683.html
> [3] http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2006-November/016835.html

Is no-one else using read-only filesystems in NAND flash w/ bad blocks
in it? Do I miss something obvious? Help?

Regards,
Thilo

--
Dipl.-Ing (FH) Thilo Fromm, MSc., Embedded Systems Architect
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Tel: +49 (30) 515 932 228   mailto:fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 (30) 515 932 77    http://www.dresearch.de
Amtsgericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 130120 B
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058
Geschäftsführer: Dr. M. Weber, W. Mögle