UBI/ubifs problem

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Wed Mar 7 11:26:17 EST 2012

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:

> When you specify --max-leb-count=1000, but not specify the journal size,
> mkfs.ubifs defines the journal size to be around 12% of that, but not
> larger than 8MiB. This sets the low UBI volume size boundary.
>
> So basically the error you get means that your UBI volume is too small
> to fit the journal.
>
> To see the journal size of your image use -v mkfs.ubifs option when you
> generate it.
>
> You can define your own journal size using the --jrn-size mkfs.ubifs
> option.

Is it possible to get mkfs.ubifs to create an image without specifying the
max-leb-count ? I.e. just to create an image that is as big as it has to
be. Admittedly, one would have to figure out the size of the resulting
volume afterwards, to provide an allocation size for ubimkvol or ubinize,
so perhaps it would help much.

>> That being so, I think the resulting error message is odd, which indicates
>> there is a bug somewhere, probably in mkfs.ubifs ?
>
> I agree that the message is odd. Below is the patch which I'll push to
> linux-ubifs.git as soon as git.infradead.org is available (it is down
> now for the reasons I do not know). I am open to additional or different
> suggestions. Thanks!
>
> P.S. I did not even compile - test the below patch, but will push out a
> tested version.

Thanks for the patch, I'll try to test it.

/Ricard