Q: Cramfs Vs. Ubifs

Ran Shalit ranshalit at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 11:25:48 EDT 2012

> Even if you copy all files to a RAM-based file system, such as /tmp, they
> still need to be copied from the file system to directly accessible memory
> before execution. While it may be faster than performing the same operation
> from flash, the demand paging functionality is still in operation.
>
> The only way to avoid it would be to force loading of all pages for a
> program at its start, I've never had the need so I don't know how though.

Yes, that what I meant. At the initialization stage we will copy all
files from ubifs section into root file system in RAM and so I assume
that there will be no any access to flash during application life for
read or write (any desired access will be controlled by application).
I wonder why I didn't find any information about disadvantage of using
ubifs as root file system in embedded system in terms of access to
flash during application life.

Regards, Ran