[RFC, PATCH, RESEND] fs: push rcu_barrier() from deactivate_locked_super() to filesystems

Andrew Morton akpm at linux-foundation.org
Fri Jun 8 20:28:42 EDT 2012

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012 16:46:47 -0700 Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> Of course, if you just mean having a VFS wrapper that does
>
>     static void vfs_inode_kmem_cache_destroy(struct kmem_cache *cachep)
>     {
>         rcu_barrier();
>         kmem_cache_destroy(cachep);
>     }
>
> then we could do that. Not much better than what Kirill's patch did,
> but at least we could have that comment in just one single place.

That's conceptually what I meant.  But it has the problem that new and
out-of-tree filesystems might forget to do it.  Which is why I suggest
adding a kmem_cache* argument to unregister_filesystem() for this.

It's a bit awkward, and the fs can pass in NULL if it knows what it's
doing.  But it's reliable.